Potatoes are one our favorite vegetables to grow in the garden. The grew very well this year and produced several bushels of potatoes. We are in the process of getting all the potatoes dug, cleaned, and graded by size, then sell them in bulk for our customers for the fall and winter months. The kids enjoy helping us dig them too. I especially love that they are seeing the whole process of farm to fork with helping us plant, dig, and prepare them for cooking.
|We love potatoes!|
Potatoes are a staple in our home. We eat them often various ways. This recipe is one of our favorites to have and everyone likes it! Usually we get leftovers from it too, which is also a added plus.
- 5 lbs potatoes
- 1 stick of butter
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 lb bacon
- green onions, green tops cut into pieces
- Peel and cut up the potatoes and place in pot of water, boil until fork tender.
- Cook bacon and crumble into pieces.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Once potatoes are ready, drain and transfer to a large mixing bowl. Cut butter into several pieces and add those, the sour cream, and milk to the potatoes. Mash all together with a potato masher.
- Add pepper, half of the bacon, and 2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese to the potato mixture. Mash everything together with the potato masher. I don't mind if my potatoes are slightly chunky, but mostly mashed.
-Transfer potato mixture to a 9 x 13 baking dish.
- Sprinkle the remaining cup of shredded cheddar cheese onto the top of the potatoes.
-Bake in the oven until top cheese is melted and potatoes bake through - about 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle the remaining bacon and the green onion pieces on top of the mashed potatoes.
This loaded mashed potato side dish would make a delicious addition to any of your meals. It is also great for those family get togethers and potluck dinners. A great way to enjoy potatoes from your own garden as well.